The Day of the Dead — Dia de los Muertos — is a holiday celebrated throughout Mexico and in Central America in which families gather to pray for and remember family members who have died and help support their spiritual journey. While Dia de los Muertos coincides with the Catholic holidays of All Soul’s & All Saint’s Day, its roots are older than that. The holiday traces its origins to indigenous religious observances dating back hundreds of years including an Aztec festival dedicated to the goddess Mictecacihuatl.
Fanciful and elaborate artistic depictions and displays have long been a part of Dia de los Muertos. The building of altars to honor the souls of the dead is one example. But food is no exception. And this Tuesday evening’s Dia De Los Muertos Chef Collaboration Baja Wine Dinner at the Grant Grill will be an excellent new incarnation of that tradition.
The chefs collaborating on the evenings festivities are the Grant Grill’s own Mark Kropczynski …
… and Chef Flor Franco, Executive Chef at Valle Guadalupe-based Finca La Carrodilla and founder of Indulge Creative Cuisine.
The evening will start with a 6:00 p.m. cocktail hour with appetizers from the chefs, including
- Huitlacoche Empanada (veggie w/ cheese)
- Ceviche Mixto Tostada, Centollo Crab Aioli
- Spider Crab, Sea Urchin Shooter
There will also be craft mezcal cocktails created by Cory Alberto, live flamenco music and a Day of the Dead altar.
The five-course tasting dinner will run from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. and feature:
- Amuse-Smoked Pork Belly
- First course: Generosa Clam Tiradito, Yuzu Ginger, Chapulin Hondashi, Sea Bean (Chef Flor) — Vena Caba Espumoso Rose 2013
- Second course: Persimmons, Pomegranite Sumac, Baja Cheese, Wild Arugula (Chef Mark) — Lomita Cursi, 2014
- Third course: Baja Spiny Lobster, Roasted Fall Pumpkin and Squashes, Chorizo (Chef Mark) –– Adobe Guadalupe Gabriel 2012
- Intermezzo: Pitaye (dragon fruit), Hibiscus Sorbet (both)
- Fourth course: Mole Negro 12hr Duck, Yam Chochoyote, Compressed Asparagus, Marygolds (Chef Flor) — Finca la Carrodilla Tempranilllo 2012
- Fifth course: Pan De Muerto, Oaxaca Chocolate, Gelato (flavor TBD) (Chef Flor) — cocktail created by Jeff Josenhans
As organizer Fernando Gaxioli said, “there is awesome beauty in celebrating those who have passed before us through the art of food and beverage.” Gaxiola explains: “To place upon an altar a favorite food or dessert of a loved who has passed with the belief that it summons their soul/energy and to remember, honor them in this manner is very moving and in my opinion a very beautiful custom.”
All above is included for $125.00! For tickets, call 619-744-2077 or go to www.grantgrill.com.