Our daughter, Gwennie Gardiner, is getting married this coming September 1st to Ben Venerdi. Like any father-of-the-bride-to-be the entire process is, it’s safe to say, not my favorite thing in the world. It’s also safe to say that I was always going to be in charge of figuring out what to do for the Wedding Reception meal. The answer was pretty simple: call Flor Franco.
While the wedding is many months away the tasting has already happened and the menu is set. And it is very good indeed. Flor is putting together a series of dishes that are, frankly, beyond anything I would ever have expected for a wedding and beyond anything I’ve ever tasted at one (including Nancy’s and mine … though the wine was very good as I recall):
Ceviche Bar, served in mason jars:
- 40 Yellowtail
- 40 Shrimp
- 30 Octopus
- 10 Vegan
Tostadas, sauces and guacamole on the side
Cheese and Charcuterie: Assorted local Cheese display, charcuterie, mustard, jams, fruits, olives and artisan breads, dips and vegetables
Alternate two salads:
- Baby Spinach, Asian pears roasted with brown butter, red onion, roasted pepitas, chayote squash spaghetti with a dressing of Garlic, shallot, mustard, agave, white balsamic, aminos and shaved manchego.
- ½ Butter Lettuce, persimmons, raspberries, heirloom grape tomatoes, watermelon radish with a dressing of raspberries, apple cider, clover honey, mustard and olive oil.
- Sous Vide Chicken roulade, stuffed with spinach and black rice, Coloradito mole, chicken chicharron
- Vegan paella, squash, zuchinni, bell peppers, peas, corn and mushrooms.
- Corn, creamed risotto
- Roasted vegetables, swet potato, butternut squash, asparagus, bell peppers, brussel sprouts.Sous vide pork loin, crusted in recado negro and fine herbs, Veracruz style sauce with dry plums and agave.
These are dishes that would receive rave reviews at any modern Mexican restaurant. They’re dishes that certainly exceed any expectations for a wedding reception. The texture, temp and depth of flavors in the pork tenderloin dish alone enough to make me look forward to the wedding. Well, that and getting Gwennie off the payroll.
The wedding stress dreams have begun. We’ve got 99 things to worry about with the wedding. But the food isn’t one of them. Thanks Flor!