Don’t be afraid of Offal! The flavors can be luxurious and exotic. This classic example of Thai-style street food is a great example.
For the Chicken Liver Skewers:
- 1 pound chicken livers, trimmed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Cilantro-Lemon Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup fish sauce
Prepare the chicken livers. Thread the trimmed chicken livers onto skewers. Leave a little bit of space on the skewers between the livers. If using wooden skewers, which are perfectly appropriate, it is important to soak them in water for at least an hour before using them. Season the skewered levers with salt and pepper. Prepare and start the grill as necessary and appropriate to your set-up.
Make the Cilantro-Lemon sauce. Finely chop the cilantro leaves and combine with the remaining sauce ingredients. Refrigerate the resulting sauce for at least half an hour before using.
- Grill the chicken livers. Grill the livers over moderate heat, turning once, until charred outside and still slightly pink within, about five minutes.